American actress Drew Barrymore has had a great career in the Hollywood industry. The actress gained popularity as a child actor and went on to enjoy her peak of success between the late 90s and 2000s. Apart from acting in films, she started her talk show, The Drew Barrymore Show. It first aired in 2020 and is set to return for its fourth season.
Hollywood industry is facing bigger issues at hand with the SAG-AFTRA and WGA. The current strike by writers and actors’ unions has halted many productions. In the midst of these, Barrymore announced the return of her talk show through her social media. Following that, the actress received severe backlash for bringing her show back amid the ongoing joint strike. Drew Barrymore recently reacted to the backlash and provided an apology.
Drew Barrymore apologizes to the Unions
Drew Barrymore has faced severe backlash after she announced the return of her talk show, The Drew Barrymore Show, amid the joint strike in Hollywood. After failing to reach an agreement on higher pay, the Writers Guild of America started its strike at the beginning of May. Hollywood joined the movement in July after the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) unanimously decided to go on strike.
The joint strike has halted many productions, stopped many shows, and even led to celebrities not promoting their film or TV shows. In mids of these, Barrymore firmly announced The Drew Barrymore Show returning for its fourth season.
After receiving backlash for resuming her show, the 48-year-old addressed that and apologized to the union. She posted a lengthy video on her Instagram apologizing for the move and understanding the reaction. According to Metro, in the now-deleted video on her Instagram the Charlie’s Angels actress said,
“I believe there is nothing I can do or say in this moment to make it okay,’ Drew began the emotional clip. ‘I wanted to own a decision so that it wasn’t a PR protected situation, and I would just take full responsibility for my actions.”
Barrymore explained how her intentions were not to hurt anyone and she fully accepted and understood the reaction. According to Metro, the actress said,
“I just want everyone to know my intentions have never been in a place to upset or hurt anyone. That’s not who I am. I’ve been through so many ups and downs in my life, and this is one of them. ‘I deeply apologize to writers, I deeply apologize to unions, I deeply apologize… I don’t exactly know what to say, because sometimes when things are so tough, it’s hard to make decisions from that place.”
Even though Drew Barrymore apologized to the union, her talk show The Drew Barrymore Show, is set to return for its fourth season on September 18.
Drew Barrymore’s talk show returns with its fourth season
With the joint strike in Hollywood, many shows have gone dark. In the midst of these, Drew Barrymore announced the return of The Drew Barrymore Show. The show first premiered in 2020. Despite receiving backlash, the 48-year-old apologized to the unions and vowed to stand by her decision.
Despite the strikes, several talk shows have continued to air, such as The View, which debuted its 27th season last week without its writers. The criticism against Barrymore, however, has been stronger because it contrasts sharply with her choice to resign from hosting the MTV Movie & TV Awards in May in support of the writers’ strike. However, the actress explained that her show represented things beyond her name, and there are people’s jobs on the line.
Barrymore emphasized that the program complies with the strike’s rules. She insisted that she made the decision and that everyone was adhering to the ban on discussing or promoting films and television, which remains struck.
The Drew Barrymore Show returns on September 18th.